Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Child Does Not Equal Punishment

I write with a heavy heart today, sickened by the comments of presidential candidate Barack Obama. I have for months given Obama the benefit of the doubt as far as his radicalism. I didn't rush to judgment when I received an email about him not saluting the American flag. There is ample evidence that he does. I have been waiting until all of the facts are in (or most of them), and it seems clear at this point that he is the probable Democratic nominee. He is also the clear left-wing media favorite. His association with a radical, separatist church was bad enough. But yesterday Obama, in a Pennsylvania speech, told a crowd that if his daughters ever got into "trouble," he wants the abortion option there for them because they should not be "punished" with a baby or an STD. In this clip from YouTube, he clearly equates a precious child with punishment or a sexually transmitted disease. How far we have fallen as a nation and as Christians when this relativistic, dangerous, sad, hate-filled rhetoric comes from a man admired by so many, including so many young people.

Barack Obama claims to be a Christian. Each morning when I open my eyes I pray, "Lord, make me meek and humble, help me to be a good wife and mother, help me to do Your work today." I pray this every day because I know, as a Christian, I am supposed to be about my Father's work at all times. As sinners, we all fall short of this standard, but as a follower of Christ I feel I must try my best to be about my Father's work. I wonder if Barack Obama, the Christian, feels that giving a speech like this is doing "the Father's work." I wonder if, when he equates a child with punishment, or with an STD, he is doing "the Father's work." I wonder if, when he counsels his daughters concerning this subject he will be "about the Father's work."

I pray Jesus will open his eyes and the eyes of everyone who thinks of a child as anything other than a precious, precious gift on loan from our Lord Jesus Christ. Looking at children in this way, rather than as burdens or punishments is truly "doing our Father's work."


Carl, Trent and Luke are the best things about me. Lovely life with all three of my sweet boys:-)

No comments: