Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's a New Day!

Another warm, sunny, lovely day here in southeast Nebraska. Our Luke is feeling much better. He was up early and ready for breakfast, phonics and math. My goal, now that warm weather is here, is to spend as much time as possible outside. So I've moved all of Luke's usual crafty, messy fun outside. This morning I sat his bean box and cups, spoons, etc. out on his picnic table so he could play in the sunshine while daddy worked in the yard. I plan to buy him a new sand and water table when I go to Omaha next week, but until then he will be doing his "water experiences" on his picnic table.

The best thing about spring and summer, for me, is the ability to get outside with Carl and the boys. In the winter I detest playing in the snow, but spring and summer mean fishing, playing, birding, exploring and much more. Trent is getting a new pair of binoculars for his birthday, and I must stop at our local nature museum to pick up a copy of the "Birds of Otoe County" checklist so we can check off all of the birds we see this summer. We've already been on several picnics, and we plan to eat and play outside every day possible.

All of this play and fresh air does wonders for our bodies and spirits, and the ability to be outside so much helps me make it through the long, cold winters here in Nebraska. How lovely, these warm, green days:-)

Some links to my favorite outdoor places:

Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha, NE

Steamboat Trace Trail, Peru, NE

Indian Cave State Park, near Falls City, NE

Waubonsie State Park, Hamburg, IA

Mozingo Lake, Maryville, MO

Lake of Three Fires, Bedford, IA

Mormon Island State Recreation Area, Grand Island, NE

Quote of the Day:
"Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens

No comments: