Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Year, New Attitude

I've made a whole bushel of resolutions this year. Normally I think doing this is kind of silly, but this year, for some reason, I am determined to live, as Thoreau once said, deliberately. So here are, in no particular order, my resolutions for a lovely 2008.

I will surround myself with people who truly inspire me and whom I truly like. I am 36 years old now, and I feel I have a certain right to be choosy about who I spend my time with. It's important for my spiritual and mental well being to hang out with people who are creative, fun, positive and above all, faith filled! My family certainly fits the bill, but so do other people in my life. I resolve to connect more with these lovely souls:-)

I will read voraciously. Well, I already do this, but in particular I resolve to read more Church history, natural history, more American and world history. Although I studied literature for many years, I have recently devoted all of my time to reading non-fiction. Still plan to go heavy on the poetry though -- a little Billy Collins is a very lovely thing!

I resolve to commune more with nature. Yes, sounds a bit silly considering I have always been more interested in shoes, shopping and lipgloss, but last year the boys and I were outside all of the time, and it was wonderful. Plan to be outside, no matter where it is, even more.

Other resolutions: daily Mass, Kansas City, shopping, garage sales, fishing throughout Nebraska, more music, more coffee & conversation, more writing, the open road, more laughing over silly things, much, much more photography.

No comments: