Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Thanksgiving is in the Air!

A cold, sunny morning. A morning for staying in our warm little house working on phonics and math (Luke) and Latin, biology, spelling, grammar, algebra (Trent). A morning for soft music and making pictures with dried pumpkin seeds. A morning for Luke to use mama's letter stamps and stamp pad to create pictures. A morning for daddy to explain fractions to Trent.

I'm preparing to do my Thanksgiving test run this Friday. Each year I do a trial run on everything I'll make for Thanksgiving, just to make sure things taste and look perfect! Can't wait!

Talked with my best friend Melissa yesterday. She's a high school English teacher in Kansas City, MO. Talking with her made me glad I'm a homeschooler. Also so glad her students have someone so brillliant, caring and educated teaching them. She's awesome!!! Can't wait for a post-Thanksgiving trip to Kansas City to see Melissa and the Plaza lights.

4 comments:

Always the Clay said...

oh my golly you do a test run? the whole shebang? really? wow. I'm lucky to get it half right one time. I'm lucky to have half the ingredients in my cupboard the day before! I"m lucky if I remember to buy a turkey! I'm lucky if a frog doesn't jump out of the half thawed carcass before cooking...
well, it's not that bad. i guess...

Homeschool Mama said...

Yes, a test run with the whole meal, just to make sure I know what I'm doing. Plus it gets me in the mood for the holidays, and I don't have to cook for several days:-)

Always the Clay said...

So, what's on the menu besides da toykey? Any family faves?

Homeschool Mama said...

We are doing a turkey brined for 12-14 hours in salt/sugar/herb mixture. Homemade stuffing with red & green peppers. Fabulous green bean casserole. Mashed potatoes (with potato ricing by Carl). Homemade applesauce. Pumpkin, pecan and cranberry pie.